Paula Gillespie, Chair
Rene De los Santos
Terry Myers Zawacki
Globalization has changed the environment of postsecondary writing education in terms of the world of communication we are educating our students for and in terms of our professional relationships with colleagues in other countries. To begin to understand these changes and their impact on the work on the profession as well as to begin to frame a response to these changed conditions, this committee is charged to gather information in several areas, identify major trends in the profession resulting from globalization, and to frame specific proposals for future action. Specifically this committee is charged to
- Coordinate with the strategic governance initiatives emanating from the NCTE Executive Committee.
- Gather information about writing programs in the U.S. that are attempting to address global communications and communication within globalized professions and communications. This information will include descriptions of how these programs envision the challenges of global communications and the kinds of programs they are designing to meet these challenges.
- In response to these programmatic developments, propose ways of supporting or advancing these programs and making ways of disseminating information useful for other programs and teachers in the U.S.
- Gather information about the growth of postsecondary writing education in different regions of the world and characterize the institutional situations, programmatic structures and orientations in the different regions.
- Identify organizations and networks in other regions that might form relations or partnerships with CCCC so as to establish international professional cooperation and communication. Investigate and propose specific mechanisms to increase communication, as well as propose specific alliances or agreements.
- Identify how the CCCC as a long standing organization might support the work of newly emerging programs and professions in other regions and make proposals accordingly.
- Propose a policy statement for consideration of the Executive Committee concerning the role of a national professional organization within a world of globalized communication.
This committee is charged for three years, but we would like an initial set of findings and recommendations to be presented by February 2010, to be considered by the Executive Committee at the CCCC convention that March.