These groups provide individual members, usually from the same geographical area, a local network for their interest in whole language.
Contact: Jerome C. Harste
Contact: Elizabeth Shapiro
Hofstra University Teacher Talk
Contact: Joan Zaleski
Inquirying Into Literacy (ITILL)
Contact: Judith Lysaker
North Fork TAWL
Contact: David P. Schultz
Contact: Marjory Forbes
Washington DC Area TAWL
Contact: Katie Keier
Further contact information for these groups can be obtained from Debbie Zagorski at 800-369-6283 ext. 3612.
What are the unique advantages for TAWL group members?
- A subscription to the Whole Language Umbrella journal, Talking Points
(one subscription per group through the group's contact person)
- Voting privileges at the Delegates Assembly meeting at the WLU Literacies for All Summer Institute (each TAWL group member, as evidenced by the membership roster of a current TAWL group, is entitled to one vote)
- Ability to obtain tax-exempt status for the group through the NCTE Group Exemption Letter
- Use of the WLU logo on TAWL publications and Conference materials
- Invitation to attend the WLU Executive Board meetings at the WLU Literacies for All Summer Institute and at the NCTE Annual Convention
- Opportunities to join WLU/NCTE communities and listservs
- Access to a variety of resources and professional development activities
TAWL Discussion on the Internet
The TAWL listserv was created and is still managed by Dr. Michael McVey at the University of Arizona and can be found at: http://listserv.arizona.edu/archives/tawl.html. All of the information that you will need to subscribe to (or leave) the listserv is located at this site. Instructions are also there on how to manage your listserv messages. Traffic on the list can be heavy at times (over 50 messages a day) and the discussion can get lively. However, many members believe that this listserv is their best connection to the pulse of current whole language thinking. Give it a try and decide for yourself!
Also visit http://www.frappr.com/tawl and see where TAWLers are in relation to each other.
Start a TAWL Group
A minimum of five members is required to form a TAWL group. One member, usually the group contact person, must be an individual member of WLU/NCTE. TAWL Group membership in WLU is $25.00 per group.
BY MAIL: Print out the TAWL Group Enrollment Form (PDF) and mail to NCTE.
BY PHONE: Contact Debbie Zagorski at 800-369-6283 ext. 3612.