The Whole Language Umbrella provides a network for individuals and support groups to come together to discuss issues related to whole language theory, research, and pedagogy. Membership is open to any individual or group interested in Whole Language.
WLU is a conference of the National Council of Teachers of English, and individual membership in WLU includes membership in NCTE. We invite you to take advantage of the synergy between these two organizations and join an important network of teachers helping teachers.
You join WLU by subscribing to Talking Points.
Individual WLU/NCTE membership is $70.00 per year (WLU membership only is $30.00 per year if already an NCTE member)
Join WLU anytime by purchasing the WLU journal, Talking Points in the NCTE Bookstore to become a member of WLU. Have your credit card information ready.
Print out, complete and mail the WLU/NCTE Membership Form with your payment to 1111 W. Kenyon Road, Urbana, IL 61801-1096.
Contact the NCTE Customer Service Center toll-free at 877-369-6283 with your credit card information ready. Customer Service Extended Hours: 8:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. Monday-Thursday; 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Friday CST.
What are the unique advantages for individual members?
- Membership within the National Council of Teachers of English
(membership in NCTE is a prerequisite to membership in WLU)
- A subscription to the WLU journal, Talking Points, a forum for parents, classroom teachers, and researchers to reflect about literacy and learning. Published in May and October
- Access to and discounts on WLU/NCTE books, journals, and meetings
- Voting rights in NCTE and at the Delegates Assembly meeting during the WLU Literacies for All Summer Institute
- Discounted registration fee to attend the WLU Literacies for All Summer Institute and the NCTE Annual Convention
- Opportunities to join WLU/NCTE communities and listservs
- Access to a variety of professional development activities
TAWL Groups (Teachers Applying Whole Language) provide individual members, usually from the same geographical area, a local network for their interest in whole language. Click here to see if there is group in your area.
What are the unique advantages for TAWL group members?
Join/Start a TAWL Group
A minimum of five members is required to form a TAWL group. One member, usually the group contact person, must be an individual member of WLU/NCTE. TAWL Group membership in WLU is $25.00 per group.
Print out, complete and mail the TAWL Group Enrollment Form with your payment to 1111 W. Kenyon Road, Urbana, IL 61801-1096.
Contact WLU/NCTE Administrative Asistant, Debbie Zagorski, during the hours of 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. CST at 800-369-6283 ext. 3612.