All Summer Institute activities will take place at Hofstra University.
Directions to Hofstra University from area hotels.
Hampton Inn Garden City
1 North Avenue
Garden City, NY 11530
Rates: $149.00 single/double plus local taxes and fees (until June 16)
Includes complementary breakfast from 6:00-10:00 a.m.
To Make Reservations:
- ONLINE: CLICK HERE
After entering the dates, click on the "Add special rate codes" link to enter the Group code "WLU" and then click on the red button "Check Availability."
- PHONE: Call (516) 227-2720 and mention "Literacies for All Summer Institute"
Hofstra University is located in Hempstead, NY 11549
Hampton Inn Garden City is in Garden City and near Westbury.
For directions to campus and a printable campus map, please visit www.hofstra.edu/directions.
LaGuardia and JFK are both about 30 minutes away.
Southwest Airlines flies to LI/Macarthur Airport–about 45 minute drive from Hofstra.
Ground Transportation from LaGuardia and JFK:
Do not take yellow cabs from LaGuardia or JFK airports. They have to charge double to Long Island.
- Car Service (Reserve in Advance): Silver Eagle 516-455-5768 ($60 for up to 3 people)
- Taxi (Reserve in Advance): All Island Taxi 516-333-3131 (Ask for price when reserving. About $35.)
- Check for coupons at http://allislandtransportation.com/coupons.html.
- Shared Ride: Super Shuttle http://www.supershuttle.com (First passenger $45, Additional $10)
- AirTrain: From JFK, take the AirTrain to Jamaica Station ($5) where you connect with the Long Island Railroad (LIRR) to Mineola or Hempstead ($5 to $7 purchase on platform). Take a cab to hotel.
- Long Island Railroad (LIRR): http://www.mta.info/lirr/
- MTA Subway & Bus Information: http://www.mta.info/
Ground Transportation from Long Island Macarthur: Use information above for shared ride, car service or taxi. Consider renting a car. LIRR train is available at Ronkonkoma to Mineola, but you will need a cab to Ronkonkoma station.
Amtrak Trains take you to Penn Station. From Penn Station, take the Long Island Railroad to Mineola (close to hotels and more frequent service), Westbury, or Hempstead. (See above for LIRR link)
Local LIRR Commuters: A Hofstra bus meets each Hempstead train. However, Mineola has more frequent trains.
- Manhattan: Manhattan is about 45 minutes from Hempstead by train or car. There are frequent trains to Penn Station. Discount Broadway or event tickets, try nytix.com.
- Beaches: Hempstead is about a 15-minute drive from Jones Beach and the Atlantic Ocean. It’s a one to two hour drive (or train ride) to the Hamptons for vacationers.
Not finding what you are looking for?
Send us an email with your questions today!