The NCTE Orbis Pictus Award was established in 1989 for promoting and recognizing excellence in the writing of nonfiction for children
. The name Orbis Pictus commemorates the work of Johannes Amos Comenius, Orbis Pictus—The World in Pictures (1657), considered to be the first book actually planned for children
Membership of the NCTE Orbis Pictus Award Committee:
- Chair of the Orbis Pictus Committee (serves 3 year appointment)
- Seven members representing various regions of the United States and professions (academic, classroom teacher, librarian, etc). Members serve a 3 year appointment with 2-3 new members selected each year.
Expectations and responsibilities of the NCTE Orbis Pictus Committee members:
- Current NCTE members
- Read all nonfiction books received in consideration for the award
- Participate in all activities of the committee during the year including online discussions, submissions of suggested books
- Attend the NCTE Annual Convention during the three years of membership on the committee
- Present at the NCTE Annual Convention during the Orbis Pictus session(s)
- Attend the Books for Children Luncheon during the NCTE Annual Convention when the Orbis Pictus winner and honor books are announced
- Participate in the conference call(s) each January that determines the award winner, honor books, and recommended books
- Write book annotations for Language Arts and submit by deadline established by Chair
Committee members may be removed at any time during the three-year appointment if s/he does not fulfill the expectations and responsibilities stated above.
To be considered for membership on the NCTE Orbis Pictus Committee, please submit the following:
- Application form
- Current vitae or resume
- One example of a book annotation, book review, or evaluative comments about a recent nonfiction book. This example should be written by the applicant.
Applications must be submitted by January 31 to be considered for membership on the NCTE Orbis Pictus Award Committee. Submit completed applications to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Have questions or comments,
email us today!