The NCTE Charlotte Huck Award for Outstanding Fiction for Children was established in 2014 to promote and recognize excellence in the writing of fiction for children. This award recognizes fiction that has the potential to transform children’s lives by inviting compassion, imagination, and wonder. The award commemorates the work of educator Charlotte Huck and her focus on the importance of bringing books and children together in significant ways.
Membership of the Charlotte Huck Award Committee:
- Chair of the Committee (serves 3 year appointment)
- Seven members representing various regions of the United States and professions (academic, classroom teacher, librarian, etc). Members serve a 3 year appointment with 2-3 new members selected each year.
- Current Committee
Expectations and responsibilities of the Charlotte Huck Committee members:
- Current NCTE members
- Not currently serving on any other national book committees (ALA, IRA, NCTE, or other)
- Read all fiction books received in consideration for the award
- Participate in all activities of the committee during the year including online discussions, submissions of suggested books
- Attend the NCTE Annual Convention during the three years of membership on the committee
- Present at the NCTE Annual Convention during the Charlotte Huck session(s)Attend the Children's Book Awards Luncheon during the NCTE Annual Convention when the Charlotte Huck Award winner and honor books are recognized and announced
- Write book annotations for Language Arts and submit by deadline established by Chair
Committee members may be removed at any time during the three-year appointment if s/he does not fulfill the expectations and responsibilities stated above.
To be considered for membership on the Charlotte Huck Committee, please submit the following:
- Application form
- Current vitae or resume
- One example of a book annotation, book review, or evaluative comments about a recent fiction book. This example should be written by the applicant.
Applications must be submitted by December 1 to be considered for membership on the NCTE Charlotte Huck Award Committee. Submit completed applications to email@example.com.
Have questions or comments,
email us today!