Membership on any commission, standing committee or committee is for a three-year term. Most groups meet once per year at the NCTE Annual Convention in November. Click on the name of a particular group to see a fuller description and more information.
Commissions are essentially deliberative and advisory bodies that deal with defined branches of study within the English language arts (composition, language, literature, media, and reading).
Standing Committees focus on particular issues or continuing areas of substantial concern whose effects cross all branches of study in English instruction (censorship, research, international concerns).
Committees are a short-term group appointed by the NCTE Executive Committee to study issues, develop publications, make proposals, or carry on activities related to one or more levels of instruction (writing, racism, poetry for children, reading).
Task Forces are authorized by the NCTE Executive Committee to carry out specific, targeted, high-priority projects identified by the Executive Committee.
Forums are authorized by the NCTE Executive Committee to identify and address broad concerns of NCTE Members (higher education, research).
Check out the list below:
- Achievement Awards in Writing Advisory Committee
- Affiliates, Standing Committee on
- Censorship, Standing Committee Against
- College Forum
- Composition, Commission on
- Council History and 2011, Task Force on
- Excellence in Poetry for Children Selection Committee, NCTE Award for
- International Concerns, Standing Committee on
- Language, Commission on
- Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender Issues in Academic Studies Advisory Committee
- Literature, Commission on
- Media, Commission on
- NCTE/SLATE Steering Committee on Social and Political Concerns
- Orbis Pictus Award for Outstanding Nonfiction in Children’s Literature
- Program to Recognize Excellence in Student Literary Magazines Advisory Committee
- Promising Young Writers Advisory Committee
- Public Language Awards Committee
- Racism and Bias in the Teaching of English, Committee Against
- Reading, Commission on
- Research Forum
- Research, Standing Committee on
- Technical and Scientific Communication Committee
Do you have views or ideas that you would like to share with any of the groups mentioned above?
Do you have an idea for any new groups for NCTE?
Send us an email today at email@example.com