Commissions are essentially deliberative and advisory bodies that deal with defined branches of study within the English language arts (composition, language, literature, media, and reading).
Standing Committees focus on particular issues or continuing areas of substantial concern whose effects cross all branches of study in English instruction (censorship, research, international concerns).
Committees are appointed by the NCTE Executive Committee to study issues, develop publications, make proposals, or carry on activities related to one or more levels of instruction (writing, racism, poetry for children, reading).
Check out the list below:
- Achievement Awards in Writing Advisory Committee
- Affiliates, Standing Committee on
- Censorship, Standing Committee Against
- Composition, Commission on
- Council History and 2011, Task Force on
- Excellence in Poetry for Children Selection Committee, NCTE Award for
- International Concerns, Standing Committee on
- Language, Commission on
- Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender Issues in Academic Studies Advisory Committee
- Literature, Commission on
- Media, Commission on
- NCTE/SLATE Steering Committee on Social and Political Concerns
- Orbis Pictus Award for Outstanding Nonfiction in Children’s Literature
- Program to Recognize Excellence in Student Literary Magazines Advisory Committee
- Promising Young Writers Advisory Committee
- Public Language Awards Committee
- Racism and Bias in the Teaching of English, Committee Against
- Reading, Commission on
- Research, Standing Committee on
- Technical and Scientific Communication Committee
Do you have an idea for any new groups for NCTE?
Do you have views or ideas that you would like to share with any of the groups mentioned above?