"Thanks so much! This conference was amazing, and we can't wait to get the book."
--Teacher from Alpine School District and participant in the PreK-12 Virtual Conference
Thank you for participating in the live events!
Virtual Conference Recordings Now Available
Choose the appropriate conference (each conference includes four sessions):
"We really liked it a lot...she was so upbeat about a subject that can raise great defensiveness and ire. Her stories were great and she was really personable. The teachers who were with me really enjoyed it!"
Interpreting the Standards: Maintaining the Integrity of the Classroom in Times of Transformation
Once again, NCTE is situating itself as an integral voice when teachers need it most, as they go about the tough work of interpreting and implementing the Common Core State Standards. Unlike some materials that offer explicit units of study, this series reminds teachers how to maintain the integrity of innovative and student-centered classrooms. While any standards movement can default to sameness, this series shows that the national standards and a national curriculum are not the same. The teachers featured here demonstrate that the most effective curriculum is the one created by individual teachers focused on the learning needs of their students. Join us as we explore how both innovative and reliable teaching remains the most crucial to any classroom.
Learn more about the presenters: Anne Ruggles Gere; Susi Long; Tonya Perry; Sarah Brown Wessling; Jeff Williams
Session 2: Finding Your Way With the Common Core
Session 3: Contextualizing and Building with the Core Standards
- Learn from inspiring teachers who incorporate CCSS into their instruction.
- Consider individualized and whole-class strategies to foster student learning in the CCSS environment.
- Learn to “chart the practice” to connect CCSS and outstanding teaching.
- Employ formative assessment to shape teaching.
Session 4: Developing Planning Strategies
- Develop planning strategies for creating units of instruction that:
- keep students at the center
- address CCSS ELA standards
- involve collaboration with colleagues
- employ formative assessment
- integrate NCTE principles of good teaching with CCSS ELA standards
In Session 2, Susi Long puts the standards in perspective, with a focus on the students. View this excerpt (all excerpts are in low resolution to keep file size small) from the second session.
Click here to learn more about and purchase the Grades PreK-2 Virtual Conference Recordings
In the final session focused on planning strategies, presenter Jeffrey Williams explains some methods of grouping the standards.
Click here to learn more and purchase the Grades 3-5 Virtual Conference Recordings
Classroom teachers Mary James and Claire Harden take you inside their classrooms where they discuss how texts become conversations. Although in very different school settings, both teach The Outsiders.
Click here to learn more and purchase the Grades 6-8 Virtual Conference Recordings
In this excerpt from Session 4, Sarah Brown Wessling, reminds us how common standards do not require common pathways to learning.
Click here to learn more and purchase the Grades 9-12 Virtual Conference Recordings
The PreK-12 Virtual Conference Package includes all four, grade-level conferences above for a reduced price.
Click here to purchase the Grades PreK-12 Virtual Conference Recordings
- The series consists of four books: PreK-2; 3-5; 6-8; 9-12.
- Each book includes authentic, useful advice from an author who teaches or is closely connected with classrooms daily.
- Each book features vignettes and illustrations of principles that apply to a range of grade/developmental levels.
- Pre-order now and the books will ship when available in October.