"The Council is focusing its resources on supporting teachers and teams
as they make their own professional decisions -- informed by reflection
and research -- about how best to foster literacy learning. "
NCTE President Keith Gilyard
View videos featuring educators sharing their insights on how to frame instruction, keep teachers as decision-makers, and put students at the center of learning while planning for the Core.
Gain insights by reading these teaching vignettes:
- Learn more about text complexity and using texts to scaffold instruction in this high school classroom (vignette, chart).
- Visit a middle school classroom where students make authentic connections with the outside world through a Social Justice Photo Journal project (vignette, chart).
- Teach and assess for deeper understanding of theme in this elementary classroom (vignette, chart).
- Engage students in one-to-one conferences as well as whole-class discussions in preschool and elementary classrooms. (vignette, chart).
All vignettes are taken from the NCTE Supporting Students in a Time of Core Standards book series.
Supporting Students in a Time of Core Standards
The NCTE Book Series and Virtual Conference Recordings explore how student-centered teaching remains crucial to every classroom and provides examples of upholding NCTE principles of effective teaching in a time of Core Standards. View the sample chapters and companion websites of each grade-level book to learn more.
The NCTE fall Web seminar series focuses on the teaching practices and skills that are essential to successful implementation of the CCSS. School leaders, coaches, and teachers can gain insights from each 60-minute live event. Recordings are also available for purchase.
Onsite Support from Consultants
If you are looking for on-site, customized support from an expert consultant who can help you better understand the Core Standards and develop an implementation plan, consider working with an NCTE consultant who specializes in CCSS implementation.
Open Letters from NCTE Regarding the Common Core Standards:
- March 10, 2010; Jeff Williams, chair, NCTE Review Team for the Common Core State Standards for K-12 English Language Arts
- September 21, 2009; Kylene Beers, NCTE President
- August 17, 2009; Kylene Beers, NCTE President
- July 28, 2009; Kylene Beers, NCTE President
Reports from NCTE's Review Team in Response to Standards Drafts:
View and download the final version of the Common Core State Standards.