Please adhere to the following guidelines in completing your grant proposal. Please direct questions or requests for further information to Sue Gallivan at firstname.lastname@example.org or call: 800-369-6283 , ext. 3675.
The trustees of the NCTE Research Foundation support projects related to the teaching and learning of language, literacy and culture.
Who Is Eligible
Proposals are invited from teachers, teacher researchers, teacher educators, and scholars in language, literacy, and cultural studies. Applicants must be members of NCTE.
Suggested Research Topics
The trustees of the NCTE Research Foundation seek proposals that reflect the diverse interests among our NCTE membership, including but not limited to proposals focusing on underrepresented populations, equity pedagogies, curriculum changes and the effect the changes have on students, school policies, changes in teaching methods, student interaction and learning, community literacy, home-school literacy relationships, after-school programs, student literacy practices in and out of school, and other relevant topics of study.
Funding and Timeline Parameters
Grants will be awarded for periods of up to one year and up to $5,000 over the life of the grant. Applicants must be members in good standing of NCTE. Applicants are limited to one grant submission in each funding cycle and will only qualify for one funded project every three years.
Disbursement of Funds
Funding is awarded in two phases: Upon approval of the proposal by the board of trustees, 80% of the grant is awarded. The remaining 20% of the grant will be funded after the satisfactory completion of the interim requirements (interim report and budget summary; see following page for guidelines).
The following expenses are NOT permitted as part of the grant budget:
- Commercial teaching materials
- Dissertation support
- Tuition expenses
- Indirect, overhead, or benefit costs
- Previously incurred expense related to the project
- Researcher salaries
Applicants Will Submit:
Application Cover Sheet
Deadline and Notification
The Application Cover Sheet, Grant Proposal, and One-Page Resume must be received no later than June 15, 2013. Please submit by email to Sue Gallivan at email@example.com or by mail to NCTE, Sue Gallivan, 1111 W. Kenyon Rd., Urbana, IL 61801. Notification of grant decisions will be announced no later than August 8, 2013.
Interim and Final Reports are required by grantees (see report requirements)
Note: Recipients of the grants should submit a proposal to the NCTE Annual Convention to present their work funded by the Research Foundation. If your proposal is accepted, you may use a portion of your grant to pay for your conference expenses. Make sure that you include this in your budget.
Recipients are encouraged to submit manuscripts based on their research to one of the NCTE publications.