Submitted On: Friday, March 17, 2017
Analyst: Hyland, Ezra
On Thursday, the Trump Administration released the proposed Federal Budget – which calls for a $9.2 billion dollar (13.5%) cut in the U.S. Department of Education Budget.Among other things the Trump Budget would:
- Eliminate $1.2 billion in funding for
after-school and summer enrichment programs.
- Eliminate $2.4 billion in grants to states
for preparing and training teachers.
- Cut $200 million in TRIO and Gear Up
- Eliminate $43 million in grants to colleges
for teacher prep programs.
- Add $168 million to the Charter School
Program – a 50% increase.
- Add $1 billion for TITLE 1 – the new funds would be used to
encourage districts to adopt a “portability” policy – allowing local, state
and federal funds to follow a child to whatever public school they choose.
- Create a new $250 million private-school
- Eliminate $66 million in “Impact Aid” that offsets tax revenue losses that communities lose when they have federal property in their borders.
source: The Charter School Advocate