Targeted to Address Both the English Language Proficiency and Academic Content Needs of ELLs
Pathways for Teaching and Learning with English Language Learners is a yearlong professional development program intended to support middle and secondary mainstream teachers across the disciplines as they work to raise student achievement among ELLs.
How does it work? For more on how Pathways can help you with your ELL needs, take a tour.
Download an overview and fact sheet on how Title I funds can be used to support school wide implementation of Pathways.
Structured to Support Cross Disciplinary Learning Communities in Middle and Secondary Schools
We are constantly adding the latest publications and resources on English language learners. Here's what you can expect:
- Classroom Videos from across content areas accompanied by guiding questions to aid group discussions and individual reflections on the teaching practices demonstrated
- Sample lesson plans
- Assessment tools and sample student work
- Podcasts and professional readings from experts in field
- On demand web seminars
Easily Customized to Your Local Needs
This Pathways is organized around four key questions with multiple strands of learning making it easy to differientate the professional development experience to your local needs:
In what ways can we plan and facilitate students’ language development while engaging learners in rigorous content?
How can we create effective learning environments that facilitate student achievement?
- Cultural Awareness
- Connecting Students to the Curriculum
- Exploring Students Interactions
How can we provide opportunities for students to use language, learn language, and learn about language?
- Learning Language Across the Content Areas
- Learning in the Company of Others
- Engaging Learners Through Multimodal Instruction
How can we help students actively engage in learning?
- Facilitating Meaning Making and Critique
- Inviting Choice and Inquiry
Want to See More?
Register for our upcoming free virtual open house and hear how other schools are integrating this professional development experience into their school improvement plans. Contact the professional development office of NCTE if you would like to request a private tour for your school leadership team.