(November 14, 2007; Motion 2007:60)
The National Council of Teachers of English, celebrating its 100th anniversary in 2011, represents literacy educators across all educational contexts: early childhood, elementary, middle, secondary, and collegiate.
As members of NCTE, we believe in:
- The diverse meaning-making abilities of all students.
- Students learn through meaningful experiences that honor and build on as well as expand their interests, cultural and linguistic knowledge, and life experience.
- The professional integrity of teachers.
- Teachers continually refine their professional knowledge and combine it with their knowledge of each student to make wise decisions about assessment and instruction.
- The transformative power of language.
- Literacy education supports all students in the use of language to interact, imagine, reflect, think critically, and create knowledge in order to make a difference in their lives and the lives of others.
These fundamental beliefs are elaborated in the following documents:
Core Values and Beliefs http://www.ncte.org/about/over/core
Position Statements www.ncte.org/about/over/positions