Editor: Ken Lindblom
See EJ Call for Manuscripts for information on upcoming themed issues.
See EJ Columns for information on submissions to specific columns.
- Manuscripts should be sent by email as an attachment to English_Journal@notes.cc.sunysb.edu. Manuscripts should be double-spaced throughout (including quotations, endnotes, and works cited), with standard margins. Word 2000 or later is preferred. Authors using Macintosh software should save their work as Word for Windows. Paper submissions should be sent only when email is impossible. Please save copies of anything you send us. We cannot return any materials to authors.
- In general, manuscripts for articles should be no more than ten to fifteen double-spaced, typed pages in length (approximately 2,500 to 3,750 words).
- Provide a statement guaranteeing that the manuscript has not been published or submitted elsewhere.
- Ensure that the manuscript conforms to the NCTE Guidelines for Gender-Fair Use of Language. (See address below.)
- Number all pages.
- Use in-text documentation, following the current edition of the MLA Handbook. Where applicable, a list of works cited and any other bibliographic information should also follow MLA style.
- List your name, address, school affiliation, telephone number, and email address on the title page only, not on the manuscript. Receipt of manuscripts will be acknowledged by email, when possible, or by mail.
English Journal is refereed, and virtually all manuscripts are read by two or more outside reviewers. We will attempt to reach a decision on each article within three months. The decision on pieces submitted in response to a specific call for manuscripts will be made after the call deadline.
Prospective contributors should obtain a copy of the Guidelines for Gender-Fair Use of Language from the NCTE website at http://www.ncte.org/positions/statements/genderfairuseoflang.