Ways to Get Involved
- WRITE. Writing includes more than a pencil and pen. It is any type of media that uses words such as texting, short notes, or editing video titles.
- SPEAK. Talk to the classes you teach, community, service, or church groups you belong to, or journalists/media personalities you know about celebrating the National Day on Writing.
- CELEBRATE. Organize a celebration of writing in your school, group or community on October 20, the National Day. The list of plans forming up around the country is impressive—everything from writing marathons, to poetry slams, to journal read-ins, to post-it note plot schemes are in the works. Get creative and make your celebration memorable!
- CONNECT. Share your ideas and connect with others online at the National Gallery of Writing. Become a fan on Facebook or follow us on Twitter.
Share the news that the U.S. Senate passed resolutions in 2009 and 2010 declaring October 20 the National Day on Writing.
Ask your town officials, or legislators to proclaim October 20 as the National Day on Writing with this proclamation.
Your community, school, organizations, and family can get involved with the National Day on Writing in numerous ways including:
Host a Gallery Open House.
- Conduct a Spoken Word/Poetry Slam Celebration.
- Hold a Writers’ Showcase or “Composition of the Day” leading up to the National Day.
- Invite well-known local/regional writers to share their writing processes and samples of their work at school or local group events.
- Create a thematic writing event that focuses on a specific cause—this could include showcase chalk art, people writing on post-its or cut outs that could be posted on a wall or public display, graffiti art, letters to the military, writing about trauma or loss, etc.
Suggestions for where to hold Celebrations and Events:
Senior Citizen Halls/Residences
Boys and Girls Clubs and Organizations
Back to School Nights or Parent Open-Houses
Community Festivals or Events
Celebrations around the country!
Students Distribute Works throughout City to Celebrate National Day on Writing
Chelsea Standard, October 22, 2010
Region 8 Students Celebrate "Writing!"
KAIT TV, October 20, 2010
Sigma Tau Delta Takes Over Campus to Celebrate National Day on Writing
The Patriot News, October 20, 2010
Writing Celebrated with Various Activities on Campus
The Grand Views, October 22, 2010
5th Graders Learn from Write Stuff
Vindy.com, October 21, 2010
NH-S Celebrates National Day on Writing
NHS High School Spotlight, October 25, 2010
Kevin’s Meandering Mind
Go Ahead: Write (National Day on Writing), October 20, 2010
Making Webcomics on the National Day on Writing, October 21, 2010
From Bitstrips to Glogster: A Collection of Day on Writing Webcomics, October 23, 2010
NCTE member and consultant Mary Cappellini tells us that she helped organize a celebration for National Day on Writing at her daughter's school in Newport Beach, California. Newport Elementary, a K-6 school, invited community members and professionals, many of whom were parents, to talk to the children about the importance of writing and "how they use writing daily in their jobs or careers." The students in each classroom listened to and interacted with three different speakers. Some of the speakers included attorneys, realtors, marketing consultants, restaurant owners, a city public information officer, a director of the local nautical museum, an editor of a magazine, and even a city editor and reporter of the local newspaper.
Besides having some parents participate as speakers, other parents also came during the writing workshop time and wrote along side their children in the classrooms. The day started with a "Writing Kick-off" by the school's principal. "It was a great celebration!" said Mary.
These sites show how to invite others to contribute their writing to a Gallery.
Multilingual Poetry Reading to Celebrate the National Day on Writing (DePaul University)
National Day on Writing Celebration (Washington College)
BSU Celebrates National Day on Writing with Open Mic Event! (Briedgewater State University)
When Writing Teachers Write IX (Missouri Western State University)
The Creative Writing Contest Is Looking for Student Writers (Augusta State University)
Dr. Hand's Fall 2010 ENC 1101 & 2300 (Florida A&M University)
Writers Wanted: St. Clair College and University of Windsor Students and/or Alumni (St. Clair College and University of Windsor)
Lowcountry Writing Project (Charleston, South Carolina)
National Day on Writing is Oct 20 and WTWP Has Registered for a Gallery (West Tennessee Writing Project)
See how others have set up webpages and blogs to explain their Gallery and gather contributions.
Americans Are Writing Like Never Before: Celebrate!
The English Roost (Centennial High School, Maryland)
Ursuline National Gallery Of Writing Is Still Open! (Ursuline College)
The Southwest Minnesota Writing Gallery is NOW Accepting Submissions (Southwest Minnesota State University)
Celebrate the National Day of Writing With At Home Writing (Literacy News)
Hear broadcasts and read newspaper articles and press releases.
NWP Radio: Writing at the Center: The National Day on Writing (NWP Radio)
Writing Program Celebrates National Day on Writing (University of Denver)
Activities Planned for National Day on Writing (North Dakota State University)
Learn what others are planning for their local Gallery and the National Day.
Eastern Michigan University Writing Project (EMU)
Indiana Partnership for Young Writers Flier
Carnegie Center Flyer
Carnegie Center Photos