Learn how Rowland High School is bridging academic vocabulary into everyday practice.
See how educators are teaching literacy across content areas.
View more content literacy video examples.
Gain support from school teams that have made the commitment to literacy as a shared responsibility in the Literacy In Learning Exchange.
Listen as Antony T. Smith and Robin L. Angotti discuss their article "'Why Are There So Many Words in Math?': Planning for Content-Area Vocabulary Instruction" in the September 2012 issue of Voices from the Middle.
On Demand Web Seminar Package
Reading and Writing in the Disciplines (Grades 6-12) includes:
- All Teachers Are Not Teachers of Reading, but . . . featuring Douglas Fisher
- Content Reading for Content Learning featuring Heather Lattimer
- Writing in Every Content Area featuring Deborah Dean
- Building Academic Language to Deepen Comprehension and Learning featuring Douglas Fisher & Nancy Frey
- Disciplinary Literacies in Content Area Classrooms: Instructional Design for Responsive Instruction featuring Michael Manderino
- Tracking Argumentation across the Disciplines featuring Doug Buehl
Investigations offer brief, self-paced online professional learning about the teaching shifts needed to help students prepare to meet college- and career-ready standards for learning.
Argumentation across the Disciplines (Grades 6-12)
ReadWriteThink.org Strategy Guide Series on teaching reading in the content areas
Preparing Students for Success with Reading in the Content Areas (6-12)
Supporting Student Comprehension in Content Area Reading (6-12)
Literacies of Disciplines: An NCTE Policy Research Brief
Published in The Council Chronicle (Sept 2011)
Reading and Writing across the Curriculum: An NCTE Policy Research Brief
Published in The Council Chronicle (March 2011)