Marie Torres-Guzman is professor of the Bilingual-Bicultural Education Program, Department of International & Transcultural Studies Department of Languages, Literature and Social Studies at Teachers College, Columbia University. Her interests lie in the space where culture and language meet in classroom interactions as well as in broader society. She is interested in understanding how teachers deal with the issues of language and culture within strong bilingual education models; how parents support their children both linguistically and culturally, and how the linguocultural spaces are created in curricular social organization and in the development of materials.
View Maria's Resume/Vita, Publications and Workshops.
- Dual language education
- English language learner instruction
- Literacy in more than one language
- Bi/multilingualism in international contexts
- Teacher study groups
Creating Communities of Learning in K-12 schools: International Case Studies and Perspectives (Multilingual Matters)
Torres-Guzman, M. E. & Gomez, J. (Eds.) (in press). Global Perspectives on Multilingualism: Toward a Metaphor for Unity in Linguistic Diversity. NY: Teachers College Press.
Barnard, R. & Torres-Guzman, M. E. (Eds.) (2009). Creating Communities of Learning in K-12 schools: International case studies and perspectives. Clevedon, England: Multilingual Matters.
Skutnabb-Kangas, T., Garcia, O. & Torres-Guzman, M. (2006). Imagining Multilingual Schools: Langauge in Education and Glocalization. Philadelphia: Multilingual Matters.
Pérez, B. and Torres-Guzmán, M. E. (Third edition, 2001, Second edition, 1995, First edition 1991). Learning in Two Worlds: An Integrated Spanish/English Biliteracy Approach. New York: Longman.
- Dual Language Citywide Profile and Needs Assessment. Office of Bilingual Education. New York City Board of Education. New York, NY, February, 2000- present.
- Native Language Component. Office of Bilingual Education. New York City Board of Education, New York, NY, September, 1998-June 1999.
- Research on Writing Development at P.S. 84, CSD#3. New York, NY, September, 1997- 1999.
- Literacy Development for Older Students. Office of Bilingual Education. New York City Board of Education, New York, NY, September, 1997-1998.
- Teacher/Researcher Collaborative on Writing Development in the Dual Language Middle School, CSD#3. New York, NY, September, 1996-present.
- On production of Ensuring Optimal Learning Conditions for Bilingual/ESL Learners . Office of Bilingual Education. New York City Board of Education, New York, NY, September, 1997-1998.
- Staff Development on Literacy/Biliteracy; JFK Elementary School. Portchester, NY, January-June, 1997.
- Torres-Guzmán, M. with Mercado, C. & Hartman, A. (1999). Creating a Culture of Professionalism: D&D Initiative, Year One Report. Documentation and Dissemination Initiative, NYC Board of Education, New York, NY.
- Torres-Guzmán M. E. & Joseph, C. B. Bilingual Teacher Voices about Exemplary Practices. New York Association for Bilingual Education. Rye, NY.
- April-May, 1996. Judge. Children’s Literature in Spanish in the United States. Embassy of Spain. Washington, DC.
- Consultant. Design for Ethnography of Fine Arts in Secondary Schools in Puerto Rico. University of Puerto Rico Secondary School. Rio Piedras, PR. January-June, 1996.
- Expert Panel on Testing and Tracking Committee. White House Initiative on Educational Excellence for Hispanic Americans. Washington, DC, November, 1995.
- Reviewer. Title VII Grants. U. S. Department of Education. Washington, DC, April, 1998.