Kathryn Mitchell Pierce has a decade of teaching experience at the university, elementary and middle level. She is currently with the Clayton School District in Missouri. Since 1980 Kathryn has been involved in sharing her classroom learning experiences and current professional insights with others through conference presentations, workshops, and publications. Her publications include the book Talking About Books as well as articles and chapters about classroom talk, the roles of literature in the curriculum, and teacher research projects.
View Kathryn's Resume/Vita, Publications and Workshops.
To request NCTE Professional Development Services, complete the Online Request Form, call 800-369-6283 or email us today!
- Literture Discussion Groups
- Program Organization/Management
- Reading Instruction
- Classroom Talk
- Adolescent Literacy
- Curriculum Development
- Adventuring With Books: A Booklist for Pre-K-Grade 6, NCTE, 2000.
- Cycles of Meaning: Exploring the Potential of Talk in Learning Communities, Heinemann, 1993.
- Talking About Books : Literature Discussion Groups in K-8 Classrooms, Heinemann, 1998.
- Talking About Books: Creating Literate Communities, Heinemann, 1991.
Selected Conference Presentations
- "Language, Power and Voice: Using Photo Voice to Help Students Speak Up About their World," NCTE Annual Convention, Orlando, FL, November 2010.
- "The Essay: Finding the Voice and Structure," 30th Annual TAWL Renewal Conference, Columbia, MO, October 2010.
- "Reflecting on Our Practice: Pathways and Possibilities," Keynote, WLU Summer Institute, Indianapolis, IN, July 2010.
- "Close Reading/Close Looking: Using Technology to Support Reading and Writing in Middle School," The Watson Conference, University of Missouri-Columbia, March 2010.
- "PhotoVoice: Visual Literacy in Action," NCTE Annual Convention, Philadelphia, PA November 2009.
- "Critical Conversations about Diversity," Keynote, Teaching and Learning in a Diverse World 2nd Annual Inquiry Conference, Southern Illinois University, Edwardsville, April 2008.
- "Making Room for Literature Study," NCTE Annual Convention, San Antonio, TX, November 2008.
- "Exploring the Nature and Functions of Classroom Talk," Cambridge University, England, October 2008.
- "Using Visual Images to Promote Critical Conversations," Mid-Missouri TAWL Conference, Columbia, MO, October 2008.
- "Conferring Today: A Decade After "How's it Going?" NCTE Annual Convention, Philadelphia, PA, November 2009.
- "Using the Data Wise Process," School District of Clayton, MO, 2009.
- "GWP Writing Conference," Gateway Writing Project, University of Missouri, St. Louis, October 2009.
- "Advisory Programs," Educators for Social Responsibility, Wyndown Middle School, Clayton, MO, June 2009.
- "Assessment Training Institute," Portland, OR, May 2009
- "Missouri Write-to-Learn Conference," Tan-Tar-A, MO, February 2009.
- "Generations in Qualitative Research," University of Missouri, St. Louis, February 2009.
- "Children Between Worlds: Intercultural Relations in Books for Children and Young Adults," 7th IBBY Regional Conference, Tucson, AZ, November 2007.