Mary Lou McCloskey is active as a staff development specialist, consultant, writer, curriculum developer, and researcher in the area of English for school-age speakers of other languages. She has worked with teachers, teacher educators, and departments and ministries of education on five continents and in 34 of the United States. Mary Lou is a former President of Teachers of English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL) and has served on the TESOL Task Force to develop TESOL/NCTE Teacher Standards. She has authored and co-authored professional texts, including Teaching Learners of English in Mainstream Classrooms with Linda New Levine (Allyn & Bacon/Pearson) Integrating English with Scott Enright (Addison-Wesley) and programs for learners of English, including On Our Way to English (Rigby/Harcourt), Visions: Language, Literature, Content (Heinle) Voices in Literature (Heinle), and Making Connections (Heinle), as well as many articles.
View Mary Lou McCloskey's Resume/Vita, Publications and Workshops.
- English as a Second Language Instruction
- ESL Program Planning and Evaluation
- ESL Curriculum Development
Teaching Learners of English in Mainstream Classrooms (K-8):
One Class, Many Paths (MyEducationLab Series)
Staff Development/Technical Assistance/Curriculum Development
- 2005-2006 United States Department of State, Bureau of Public Affairs, Office of English Language Programs: Program evaluation of the ACCESS Microscholarship Program, an initiative for non-elite youth in predominantly Muslum communities currently in 39 countries enrolling 3,600 students.
- 2003-2004 School District of Philadelphia YS Evaluation Panel. Evaluate program for learners of English in compliance with 1987 Consent Decree: assist in writing English Language policy for the district.
- 2003-2005 U.S. Department of Education E-Language Learning Program. Consultant, Pedagogy, Language Development, and Program Design.
- 2001 Global English Advisory Board, Consultant, Global English Kids On-Line English Language program.
- 2000-2001 Louisiana Title VII Consortium on Middle/High School Curriculum Guide Development. Consultant, working with client group to develop research-based state resource guide that will include best practices in ESOL education.
- 1998-1999 The San Francisco Unified School District on Middle/High School Curriculum Guide Development. Consultant; worked with client group to develop research-based state resource guide that will include best practices in ESOL education.
- 1992-1995 University of Oklahoma Bilingual Education Multifunctional Resource Center. Atlanta Satellite Coordinator, training for North Carolina, South Carolina, and Georgia. Planned training programs and provided training and technical assistance to programs serving language learners throughout nine-state region.
- 1990-1992 Florida Atlantic University Multifunctional Resource Center. Training Associate, developed training programs and provided training and technical assistance to programs serving language learners throughout the southeastern United States.
- 1982 School Districts and Programs throughout the United States and abroad. Educational Consultant