John Golden is the Secondary Language Arts Curriculum Specialist for the Portland Public School District in Portland, Oregon. He is the author of the NCTE publications Reading in the Dark: Using Film as a Tool in the English Classroom (2001) and Reading in the Reel World: Teaching Documentaries and Other Nonfiction Texts (2006). John has delivered presentations, web seminars, and led workshops around the country in order to help teachers use film actively in the classroom as a way for students to improve their reading, analytical and critical thinking skills.
View John Golden's Resume/Vita, Publications and Workshops.
To Request NCTE Professional Development Services, complete the Online Request Form, call 800-369-6283 or email us today!
- Film in the Classroom
- Reading and Writing Strategies
- Cognitive Coaching for the Reflective Teacher
- Curriculum Mapping and Design
Let us help you take the guess-work out of planning effective professional development for your teachers! Purchase a comprehensive professional development package that includes a one-day workshop with John Golden (on a topic of your choice) AND 20 copies of Reading in the Reel World: Teaching Documentaries and Other Nonfiction Texts!
Cost: $2,650 plus travel costs.
Contact email@example.com to book this package!
*Other packages/quantities are available. Contact us to learn more!
Previous Presentations and Consulting
- “'Watch Your Tone, Mister': Teaching Tone through Media Production and Analysis,” NCTE, San Antonio, Texas: November 2008.
- “Critical Thinking through Critical Viewing: Using Documentaries,” NCTE, New York City: November 2007.
- Virginia Council of the Teachers of English; Richmond, Virginia: October 2006.
- “Reading in the Reel World,” a one-day workshop; Nashville, Tennessee: November 2006.
- National Council for the Social Studies Convention: Washington, DC: December 2006.
- “High School Matters Session,” Mini-Keynote Speech, National Council of the Teachers of English Annual Convention; Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania: November 2005.
- “Implementing SpringBoard,” AP National Conference; Houston, Texas: July 2005.
- “Using Film in the Classroom,” Opening Night Featured Speaker, Colorado Language Arts Society Spring Conference; Colorado Springs, Colorado: March 2004.
- “The Belly of the Beast: Working with Your State Test,” National Council of the Teachers of English Annual Convention; Atlanta, Georgia: November 2002.
WATCH THIS VIDEO of John discussing film in the classroom and how it led to Reading in the Dark.