Answers to your questions related to how to contract with an NCTE Consultant, what to expect when you have booked a consultant, and consultant qualifications can be found here.
To request NCTE Professional Development Services
call 800-369-6283 or email us today!
Q: What happens after I complete the Request PD Services form?
A: NCTE PD Specialists will recommend the best consultants based on your needs or if you requested a specific consultant, we will directly contact the consultant to determine interest and availability. NCTE will be the broker between the school and the consultant, until a consultant is chosen.
Q: Can the presentations be customized to meet your specific needs?
A: Yes, the consultant can customize their presentation to match your specific needs. The consultant and/or NCTE representative will work with your school to determine the best materials for your school, district, or region.
Q: What happens after we have chosen an NCTE Consultant?
A: After a school has chosen the consultant based on their expertise and consulting fee, NCTE then will then send a contract to the consultant and another to the client along with an invoice for 50% of the consulting fee. Travel fees can be estimated and included in the invoice. The balance is payable within 30-days of the presentation (NCTE will send an invoice). NCTE will pay the consultant upon receipt of the travel expenses. We do consider other business situations if it is fully explained and detailed in writing to NCTE Professional Development Staff. A Confirmation Form is sent to your group to provide consultants with information about meeting room set-up and location, local contacts, and more. Consultants make their own travel arrangements.
Q: How do I communicate with the consultant?
A. We recommend you comunicate via e-mail and phone with the consultant to further explain the situation and expected outcomes from the consultation/workshop.
Q. Does NCTE offer anything to make sure the visit is more than a “sit and get” professional development experience?
A. We help you consider resources ideal for departments, cross-department teams, or other groups coming together as a community of learners. These resources might include specific books, Pathways programs, Web seminars, NCTE journal issues or subscriptions, and membership into our organization.
Q: Can the consultant be available for a follow-up visit?
A. If possible, we recommend you bring the NCTE Consultant back for additional visits as part of best practices in professional development. You can arrange for a second visit either one month or several months after the presentation. Consultants can also be available in an online forum after the initial visit to answer questions, give feedback, and facilitate any discussions.
Q: How qualified are NCTE Consultants? What qualities must they possess?
A. Potential applicants are evaluated by members of an Advisory Team, comprised of nationally recognized literacy leaders, based on the following criteria.
All applicants must:
- Possess sophisticated subject matter expertise and experience with teaching practices that help diverse student populations excel.
- Have the necessary consulting skills to successfully lead workshops, presentations, or act as a consultant for classroom teachers, staff developers, and other school leaders. Applicants must demonstrate their ability to consult by submitting artifacts of their work. Artifacts include handouts or evaluations from a workshop; a listing of presentations (with years to show multiple visits) and previous consultations; and journal articles or newsletter articles.
- Demonstrate alignment with NCTE’s Core Values, and appropriate NCTE guidelines or policy statements through membership and professional activities.
- Participate in on-going professional development opportunities and continue to learn and grow as a professional and practitioner in English language arts.
- Commit time to NCTE’s Professional Development Network, providing advice about future product and service development and general support for NCTE membership and participation.