With over 35 years of experience in middle, high school, and 2-year college classrooms, Chris has used her insights into writing challenges to develop innovative approaches to improving student preparation for college writing. Her recent responsibilities as director of U.S. Dept. of Ed. FIPSE Writing Coalition resulted in the development of collaborative professional liaisons, high school writing centers, portfolio assessment techniques, and a myriad of teaching strategies. Chris has authored works such as A Portfolio Model That Works and Why Do I Have to Take Remedial Writing?, and Teaching Writing in High School and College (NCTE). Leading seminars, presenting on panels, and conducting professional development activities for teachers in secondary and postsecondary schools to address issues of collaboration, assessment, and student empowerment, she facilitates implementation of practical strategies for student success in both high school and college classrooms.
View Christine Jennings Dixon's Resume/Vita, Publications and Workshops.
Level: 6-16K-16 Alignment of Writing Curriculum Portfolios in the Classroom; Portfolios for Assessment of Student Writing Classroom Approaches to Writing Assessment Writing Workshops Getting Published: Steps Along the Way High School Writing Centers Writing Across the Curriculum Developing Rubrics Multiple Intelligence Approaches to Instruction
Previous Presentations and Consulting Experiences
- "Engaging, Inspiring, and Challenging the Writer's Knowledge of Self in the Writing Process," NCTE Convention, New York City November 2007.
- "Creating A Writing Coalition Among Secondary and Potsecondary Educators," NCTE Convention, Nashville, TN, November 2006.
- "The Writing Center: Practical Information for Creating Growing, and Maintaining a Writing Center at Two-Year Colleges," NCTE Convention, Pittsburgh, PA, November 2005.
- “Is the Sky Falling? –Mandated State Assessments: Chicken Little’s Perspective,” CCCC 2005 Conference, San Francisco, CA, March 16–19, 2005.
- “A Model for Collaboration Across Institutions to Improve Writing Programs,” NADE Annual Conference, March 9–13, 2005.
- “Capturing the Teachable Moment,” 2005 League for Innovation in Community Colleges Conference, New York, NY, March 6–9, 2005.