Deborah Dean is a former secondary English teacher who always wanted to teach the writing classes. She now teaches pre-service and practicing teachers about writing and has taught remediation courses at a local high school as a volunteer. She is the author of Genre Theory: Teaching, Writing, and Being and Strategic Writing: The Writing Process and Beyond in the Secondary Classroom and numerous articles in national and regional journals. She has presented at numerous conferences and served as a consultant to several school districts, working with language arts teachers as well as teachers in content areas to develop writing instruction and improve students’ writing skills.
View Deborah Dean's Resume/Vita, Publications and Workshops.
- Content Literacy
- Grammar Instruction
- Using Picture Books to Teach Writing, Language, Style, and Reading
- Strategic Writing
Presenting and Consulting Experiences
- “Designing and Teaching Writing Assignments for the 21st Century” NCTE Annual Convention, San Antonio, TX.
- "Strategic Writing: The Writing Process and Beyond in the Secondary English Classroom." South Coast Writing Project Workshop, Irvine, Fresno, Santa Barbara, CA.
- “Preparing Teachers to Teach Rhetoric.” WPA Conference, Anchorage, AK.
- “Strategic Grammar Instruction.” 15th Annual Conference of the Assembly for the Teaching of English Grammar, Seattle, WA.
- “Shaping Writing Behavior through Teachers’ Stories.” Annual Conference on College Composition and Communication, San Antonio, TX.
- Dean, D. & Grierson, S. (2003). “Picture Books: Tools for Re-envisioning Research and Writing.” NCTE Annual Convention, San Francisco, CA.
- Dean, D. & Grierson, S. (2002). “Picture Books as a Bridge to Writing Creative Nonfiction.” NCTE Annual Convention, Atlanta, GA.
- Dean, D. & Crowe, C. (2002). “Changing Professional Landscapes: Exploring the Move from Secondary Schools to College Teaching.” Spring Conference of National Council of Teachers of English, Portland, OR.
- “Learning for Writing: Strategies for Inquiry.” Secondary Literacy Conference, Orem, UT.
- Teaching Writing in History Classes, Alpine School District, American Fork, UT.
- Keynote Speaker. “Strategic Writing.” Pleasant Grove, UT.