A rich and thoughtful history of literacy education and of NCTE, Reading the Past, Writing the Future is for every teacher of the English language arts and English studies who wonders where we’ve been, how we got where we are today, and where we all might be traveling as literacy educators in the 21st century.
Leila Christenbury’s introductory essay discusses trends in American literacy education. Then, prominent scholars focus on activities and subject matters central to teaching English language arts and college English:
- teaching reading, writing, language, and literature;
- using new media effectively;
- working for social justice in the classroom, school, and community;
- devising responsible means to assess the work of students and teachers;
- initiating the next generation into the profession;
- cultivating an ethos for action among those who support as well as critique this work;
- looking toward the work that remains to be done in the century ahead.
embed or recreate store page here? https://secure.ncte.org/store/reading-the-past-writing-the-future