Jonathan Bush, Western Michigan University, Kalamazoo
Heidi Estrem, Eastern Michigan University, Ypsilanti
Jean Ketter, Grinnell College, IA
We seek to bring attention to the professional development of writing teachers at elementary, middle, secondary, and college levels, with particular emphasis on bringing together writing teacher educators from the English education community with those from college composition contexts.
Specifically, we will
- make recommendations about best practices in preparing new teachers of English language arts to teach writing, including concepts, practices, pedagogies, and resources
- work towards establishing stronger connections between CEE and CCCC in terms of the common work of teacher development
- raise the profile of writing teacher education throughout NCTE
- Collection of syllabi in writing teacher education ‘methods’ and practica courses
- Development of resources for teacher educators in preparation for teaching a writing teacher education course.
- Workshops on methods of teaching new teachers about writing pedagogy
- Publication projects