Bonner Slayton, Moore-Norman Technology Center, Norman, Oklahoma
Danny Wade, Washburn University, Topeka, Kansas
Bob Tremmel, Iowa State University, Ames
- To promote the teaching of poetry across all curriculums.
- To examine, suggest, and promote innovative ways of teaching and responding to poetry.
- To establish a culture and community for the reading, writing, and teaching of poetry.
- Develop a roundtable presentation proposal to be presented at the 2012 NCTE Annual Convention in Las Vegas, NV.
The theme for the 2012 NCTE Annual Convention in Las Vegas is "Dream, Connect, Ignite!"
- Poetry in the Standards Research Project
Continue researching how poetry is treated in the state and common core standards. Standards research will be completed by March 2012. Drafting and collaborating on the manuscript will begin in April 2012. The manuscript will be completed by September of 2012. For more information about this project, please contact Danny Wade at firstname.lastname@example.org or Hood Frazier at email@example.com.
- Ongoing call for submissions of poetry and poetry resources to be displayed in the CEE-Commission on the Teaching of Poetry Writing Gallery as a component of NCTE’s National Day on Writing.
Please help celebrate the reading, writing, and teaching of poetry by submitting original poems or poetry resources to the NCTE-CEE Commission on the Teaching of Poetry Writing Gallery. For more information on the submission process, please see the Commission's flyer. Also, please share the flyer with your students and colleagues.
- Continue compiling poetry lesson plans to recommend to teachers fearful of teaching poetry.
The Poetry Commission is compiling lessons for teachers who are fearful of teaching poetry. Interested persons, regardless of membership in the Poetry Commission, should email lessons to Danny Wade at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please send as a Word document. There is no required format.