Kelly Bull, Notre Dame of Maryland University, Baltimore
Jody Polleck, Hunter College, Manhattan, NY
Gina DeBlase, Wayne State University, Detroit, MI
The purpose of this commission is to bring together leaders in the academic field of adolescent literature for the purpose of planning and sharing research and teaching experiences and to plan, advocate and promote scholarship in the field of adolescent literature.
- Lisa Hazlett, Angie Beumer Johnson, and Melissa Vatter-Miller reported that their research project focusing on the teaching of adolescent literature has been completed. Though participation in the study was extremely disappointing, the trio have drafted an article submission for The ALAN Review, which they will submit this spring.
- A number of members reported that they had successfully submitted proposals for sessions focusing on the teaching and study of adolescent literature at both NCTE and ALAN for the 2006 Convention. Commission members were urged to support these sessions by attending as many as possible. Marshall George had provided a list of sessions focusing on adolescent literature to all commission members prior to the Convention.
- Jeff Kaplan agreed to submit a proposal to NCTE on behalf of the commission for the New York 2007 convention. We would like the session to be research/advocacy focused. Any interested commission members should contact Jeff if they wish to be part of the panel. Sissi Carroll suggested that we consider proposing a longer session.
- The meta-analysis that was begun two years ago of all research done in the area of adolescent literature has stalled. The commission feels this is an important project and asked that renewed energy be placed on this effort. Judy Hayn agreed to spearhead the effort. Lisa Hazlett, Jeff Kaplan, and Jacqueline Bach agreed to work on this diligently during the spring and summer of 2007. They will check with Gail Gregg and Sissi Carroll to determine what work, if any, has already been completed on the project.
- Marshall George proposed that the commission develop a position statement on the value of and guidelines for research in the field of adolescent literature. Numerous members of the commission have experienced difficulty in having their work validated by tenure and promotion review boards. It is our goal to present a position statement to CEE / NCTE for consideration at the New York convention. This idea led to a great deal of enthusiasm and discussion among commission members. Marshall agreed to head up the effort with the help of Randi Dickson, Connie Zitlow, Jeff Kaplan, Patricia Hauschildt and John Noell Moore.