Commission Chair:Kelly Byrne Bull
, Notre Dame of Maryland University, Baltimore, MD
Thomas McCann, Northern Illinois University, DeKalb
The purpose of this commission is to bring together leaders in the academic field of adolescent literature for the purpose of planning and sharing research and teaching experiences and to plan, advocate and promote scholarship in the field of adolescent literature.
- To bring together leaders in the academic field of adolescent literature for the purpose of planning and sharing research and teaching experiences.
- To plan, advocate, and promote scholarship in the field of adolescent literature.
Current and Proposed Projects:
- Members of our CEE Commission are writing book chapters to be considered for publication in the text entitled Implementing Common Core Literacy Standards through Young Adult Literature (currently under consideration by Routledge, Taylor and Francis Group). This project is a joint effort by the Commission on the Study and Teaching of Adolescent Literature and SIGNAL, special Interest Group – Network on Adolescent Literature.
- Numerous members of our CEE Commission are promoting scholarship in the field of YAL, as they will be serving as Guest Editors for upcoming themed issues of English Journal. These include:
- Alan Brown (with Chris Crowe), Publication Date: September 2014: A Whole New Ballgame: Sports and Culture in the English Classroom
- Sophia Tatiana Sarigianides, Mark A. Lewis, and Robert Petrone, Publication Date: January 2015: Re-thinking “Adolescence” to Re-imagine English
Our current and proposed projects aim to:
- Increase communication to keep members informed of the work of the commission as well as opportunities for research and practice.
- Prepare sessions for national and state ELA conferences to promote the use of young adult literature in secondary classrooms.
- Address how young adult literature meets the Common Core Standards.
- Continue research and scholarship that contribute to the knowledge base in English and literacy education.
CEE Position Statement on Research and Scholarship Focusing on Adolescent / Young Adult Literature