February 9, 2017
The Conference on College Composition and Communication (CCCC), a conference within the National Council of Teachers of English, is the world’s largest professional organization for researching and teaching composition, from writing to new media.
CCCC calls for the new Secretary of Education to reaffirm the Department of Education’s commitments to
- departments and policies within the Department of Education that ensure that all students have access to high-quality, equitable educational opportunities based in research and practice.
- postsecondary accountability processes that are mission-specific, discipline-appropriate, and driven by professionals who understand student learning.
- support for regional accreditation.
- the appointment of qualified educational professionals to the National Advisory Committee on Institutional Quality and Integrity.
- programs that support, promote, and publish educational research and student success such as the Institute for Education Sciences and the Fund for Improvement in Postsecondary Education.
- implementation of federal policies as directed by Congress.
Within the structures of postsecondary education policy and practice, CCCC and its members also reaffirm its commitments to engaging in valid, research-based writing instruction and assessment practices that engage students in appropriate development of literacy abilities.