Because of the rapid growth in the number of second language writers in US higher education and the increasing linguistic diversity that all teachers of writing encounter in the classroom, the Second Language Writing Committee is charged to:
- Serve as an official liaison between CCCC and Teachers of English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL);
- Assist in the distribution and use of the second language writing position statement concerning second language writing issues and continue updating the statement as needed;
- Identify, develop and provide second language writing resources for CCCC members;
- Make recommendations to the Executive Committee on issues related to second language writing.
Minutes from the March 2009 Committee Open Meeting (pdf)
November 2010 Update
The Committee on Second Language Writing continues to work closely with the TESOL Second Language Writing Interest Section to coordinate efforts related to second language writing and writers in both professional communities. During the past year, we have worked to distribute and build awareness of the newly revised CCCC Statement on Second Language Writing and Writers to members of both organizations. This is an ongoing effort. For CCCC 2011 in Atlanta, the Committee is organizing two pre-convention workshops that will focus on working with second language writers in writing centers and classrooms. In addition, the Committee on Second Language Writing will host a Special Interest Group meeting at CCCC 2011 that will focus on globalization, multicultural (or contrastive) rhetorics, transnationalism, and second-language writing connections.
Subscribe to the Second Language Writing Listserv:
Note: This listserv is open to anyone who wants to join. Please follow the steps below.
- Send a message to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- In the text of the message, type: subscribe slw_cccc
- Note: Do not type anything in the subject line
- You will receive a message back from the listserv asking you to confirm your subscription to the list
- When you want to send a message to the list, send it to email@example.com