This committee exists to:
- Promote nationally a critical approach to the use of computer technologies in the composition classroom.
- Continue to sponsor and present workshops, panels and demonstrations at CCCC and NCTE-sponsored conferences, including regular organization of the Computer Connection at CCCC national conferences. Include in these activities attention to open source and community source projects and software, calling attention to best practices, when possible, and providing guidelines on issues and strategies.
- Support continuity in the annual Computers and Writing Conferences by coordinating the search for a sponsoring university each year and arranging for the transfer of conference materials from site to site. The committee also maintains mailing lists and other records, provides advice and logistical support for the conference planners, and assists in publicizing the conference.
- Serve as a resource for computer-using teachers: promoting bibliographies, journals and other publications related to computers and writing; promoting the purchase and use of all NCTE publications relating to computers.
- Coordinate the efforts of the members of the Computer Committee with the initiatives of other groups (such as the NCTE Instructional Technology Committee).
- Review and possibly update the Position Statement on Teaching, Learning, and Assessing Writing in Digital Environments. The Officers would like the Committee to review this statement, see if it needs updating and make the updates needed. A report and a draft of the updated statement (if updates are needed) should be submitted for review by May 2012.
Computers and Writing Conference
7C's Task Force Listserv
Interested constituents can join the 7c-l listserv at http://interversity.org/lists/7c-l/subscribe.html, on which Task Force members discuss issues that support the 7Cs fulfillment of some of its charges.
November 2010 Update
The 7Cs supports composition teachers and scholars (and those in related fields) who work with digital technology. This CCCC committee is responsible for selecting the onsite and online hosts for the annual Computers and Writing conferences as well as for organizing the Computer Connection presentations at the annual CCCC conference. 7Cs is also responsible for coordinating the Technology Innovator Award, which is presented annually at the C&W onsite conference. This committee of nine voting members works closely with its associated Task Force, which is comprised of any constituents interested in promoting digital technology issues. (Interested constituents can join the 7c-l listserv, on which Task Force members discuss issues that support the 7Cs fulfillment of some of its charges.)