The NCTE Jewish Caucus was formed in 2003 to address concerns and issues of Jewish members of NCTE. Since the beginning, the NCTE Jewish Caucus has sponsored a business meeting, convention sessions, and a series of speakers. We view our purpose as educating ourselves as much as educating others. The issues of concern to members of the NCTE Jewish Caucus can be categorized into five areas.
- The need for a space within NCTE to discuss “Jewish” issues with other Jewish members of NCTE (but please note, all of our meetings are always open to anyone, indeed we welcome anyone with an interest to attend);
- Issues of anti-Semitism within NCTE, within the profession and field of education and in our lives;
- The state of children’s literature for Jewish children and about Jewish people;
- The representation of Jews and Jewish life within NCTE and within the literature provided to students in grades K-12 language arts education (and elsewhere), including the need to move beyond representations limited to the Holocaust; and
- The promotion and support of contemporary Jewish American literature and its authors.
For more information, please contact one of the Chairs.
Ohio State University-Columbus
University of Texas-San Antonio
1111 West Kenyon Road
Urbana, IL 61801