The 2016 Program to Recognize Excellence
in Student Literary Magazines is closed.
Purpose: To publicly recognize excellent literary magazines produced by students, teachers, and schools and to encourage all schools to develop literary magazines.
Eligibility: This student literary magazine program is open to all secondary and middle schools throughout the United States, Canada, Virgin Islands, and to American schools abroad. Schools must be US accredited to enter. Magazines submitted must have been published between September of the previous year and July of the entry year. Only one issue of a school's magazine can be entered. Newspapers, yearbooks, and K-elementary magazines are not eligible. Plagiarism is not acceptable and will disqualify a magazine.
Award Specifics: NCTE Headquarters administers the program and works with coordinators from each state. State Coordinators assemble a state judging team to review and score magazines.
- Entries are accepted May 1st - July 1st during entry year.
- Mail the entry form (available on this site in May) and the $25.00 entry fee to: PRESLM at NCTE, 1111 W. Kenyon Road, Urbana, IL 61801-1096.
- Send (3) copies of your literary magazine and three (3) copies of your entry form (block out any credit card information) to your State Coordinator by July 1st of the entry year.
- A list of the State Coordinators will be posted on this website in May.
Judging: First round judging is completed by state judges and based on a point system. The total points awarded to magazines determine placement in one of the following categories:
- Superior (100 - 91 points)
- Excellent (90 - 81 points)
- Above Average (80 - 71 points)
- Average (70 or fewer points)
Highest Award - Magazines scoring 100 - 91 points and recommended by the state judges for Highest Award are displayed at NCTE's Annual Convention in November and judged by the PRESLM Advisory Committee. The Committee determines if a magazine meets enough criteria to win the honor of Highest Award.
Judging is confidential. Critiques of individual magazines are not provided. Scores of the magazines will not be released.
Awards: Results are announced in January and posted on the NCTE website. Schools receive a certificate of their award which is sent to the advisor of the school's literary magazine. In addition, the student editors' names, literary advisor, and school name appear on the NCTE website.
Email firstname.lastname@example.org for information.