Entries will be accepted
March 1 - July 23, 2014, Noon CST
The Norman Mailer Center and the National Council of Teachers of English are pleased to invite submissions for the 2014 Norman Mailer Writing Award for Middle and High School Teachers. Full- and part-time middle school and high school teachers are eligible to enter the competition.
The competition is limited to works of creative nonfiction.
From five finalists, one winner will be selected to receive a $5,000 cash prize along with travel* and lodging to attend the Norman Mailer Center’s Annual Gala in New York City during the Fall of 2014.
- Limit one entry per person.
- Maximum 20 single-spaced pages in a plain easily readable font, such as Arial or Times New Roman, in 11 or 12 points.
- Entry may be part of a larger piece.
- Previously published writing may be submitted if the writing was published within the last 12 months.
- Entries accepted online only from March 1 – July 23, 2014, Noon CST.
- Late entries will not be considered.
- The competition is limited to works of creative nonfiction.
Submissions will be read by a national panel of teachers and will be judged by how well they achieve several qualities including the artful treatment of subject matter; originality; quality of insight, image, voice, and style; artful arrangement of elements and materials; and overall aesthetic, emotional or intellectual effect. Stories that receive high ratings from the national judges will be submitted to a distinguished panel of authors selected by the Norman Mailer Center, who will choose the winning entry.
Authors retain copyright of their work.
One winner and four finalists will be notified in September. Results will be posted on the NCTE website.
*Funding for travel to the awards ceremony for the award winner is limited to coach airfare within the continental United States, Alaska, and Hawaii. Outside of the US, a $500 USD payment toward travel will be allowed. Hotel/lodging at the awards event will be covered.
Contact email@example.com with any questions.
Interested in helping out with the award process?
NCTE has several awards that you can volunteer for.
Sign up today!