The Edwin A. Hoey Award for Outstanding Middle School Educator in the English Language Arts recognizes exceptional English language arts teachers of grades 5-8 who have demonstrated excellence in teaching English language arts and inspired a spirit of inquiry and a love of learning in their students.
The award is sponsored by the Weekly Reader Corporation, and honors Edwin A. (Ted) Hoey, who brought limitless imagination and creativity to the pages of READ magazine during his nearly forty-year career as writer, editor, and managing editor of the renowned literature and language arts classroom periodical. Hoey's efforts enriched the work of both countless middle level teachers of English language arts and the lives of their students.
The award is presented at the Middle Level Luncheon during the NCTE Annual Convention each year and includes an engraved glass plaque; $2,500, plus up to $1,000 for expenses to attend the November NCTE Annual Convention. In addition, the award recipient receives a one-year complimentary NCTE membership; one-year subscription to Voices from the Middle; and the opportunity to present at the NCTE Annual Convention.
- Full-time English language arts teacher of students in grades 5-8 ("full-time teacher" is defined as a teacher with a standard number of contact hours with students for that school district)
- Educator who has taught graders 5-8 full-time for at least five years
- Teacher in public or private school in the United States, its territories, or Canada
- Member of the National Council of Teachers of English
- Nominated by supervisor or teaching peer who can provide credible evidence of nominee's achievements; self-nominations are ineligible
- Fosters a spirit of inquiry and a love of learning
- Utilizes scholarship from literature, writing, or other appropriate fields
- Utilizes the twelve interrelated NCTE content standards
- Participates in professional activities such as workshops, curriculum development, committees, other association activities, and the like
Nominations packets including a application cover form must be completed and postmarked no later than February 1, 2010. Send 2 copies of the completed nomination packet to:
NCTE Edwin A. Hoey Award Committee
National Council of Teachers of English
1111 W. Kenyon Road
Urbana, IL 61801-1096
Have questions or comments,
email us today!
Deborah A. Peters, Northwestern Lehigh Middle School, New Tripoli, PA, 2008
Lori Atkins Goodson, Wamego Middle School, Wamego, KS, 2007
Jane Feber, Mandarin Middle School, Jacksonville, FL, 2006
Sheila Newell, Jane Long Middle School, Houston, TX, 2005
Barry Hoonan, Odyssey Multiage, Bainbridge Island, WA, 2004
Nancie Atwell, Center for Teaching and Learning, Edgecomb, ME, 2003
Cora Lee Five, Edgewood Elementary School, Scarsdale, NY, 2002
Steven Layne, Butler Jr. High School, Oak Brook, IL, 2001
Linda Rief, Oyster River Middle School, Durham, NH, 2000
Elizabeth Close, Farnsworth Middle School, Guilderland, NY, 1999
Rise Paynter, Binford Elementary School, Bloomington, IN, 1998