Advancement of People of Color Leadership Award
This award?established in 2007?and first presented in 2008 recognizes a person of color who has made a significant contribution to NCTE and the development of our professional community.
Criteria for the Award
The NCTE Advancement of People of Color Leadership Award (APCL) is a special award given to an NCTE member of color who has made a significant contribution to NCTE and the development of our professional community.
The NCTE Advancement of People of Color Leadership Award (APCL) does not need to be awarded each year – this award should be bestowed only when the subcommittee decides that nominations warrant presentation of the award.
NOTE: This award may be given to a deceased person.
The selection committee will consist of the four (4) Chairs of the Section Steering Committees and one at-large member appointed by the NCTE President from Council membership. The current NCTE president will appoint one (1) of the Section Chairs to chair his selection committee.
The APCL Committee will select an award recipient from nominations solicited from the Board of Directors, Affiliate Presidents, caucus chairs, and NCTE members of color. The Executive Committee will approve the committee’s selection.
Nature of the Award
· A plaque is given to the winner of the NCTE Advancement of People of Color Leadership Award.
· The recipient will be invited to attend the Annual Convention where they will be presented with the plaque. The award will be announced at the Thursday Opening Celebration at the Annual Convention and the plaque will be presented to the recipient on Friday during the Opening Kick-Off Session.
· The recipient will also receive:
- convention registration
- domestic round-trip coach airfare to the Annual Convention
- one night lodging (Thursday) and meals