Know Your Audience
- Find out what issues the legislators care about and how they represent them
Plan What You'll Say
- Develop 2-3 main talking points along with the policies and practices that support them. Consult NCTE policies:
- Practice by responding to the toughest and best questions you guess the legislator will ask.
During Your Meeting with a Legislator
After a Meeting with a Legislator
- Don't forget to send a thank you note and include any information you may have offered to provide during your visit -- email is the best way.
- Ask to be consulted when issues arise and, even if you haven't heard, follow up a few months later just to keep in touch by offering your assistance.
Please contact Millie Davis or Lori Bianchini, NCTE Communications Division, for assistance with your questions about speaking with the media or with legislators: email@example.com; 217-278-3634 (Millie) or 217-278-3644 (Lori).