The news release is still the most basic communication strategy for dealing with the media. Columns in newspapers, letters to the editor, and public service announcements for radio and TV offer other opportunities for getting your message out.
- Indicate when news organizations are free to use the information in the release. You may use FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE or specify a date.
- Indicate one contact name and phone number. Make sure this is a number that is always answered or has an answering machine or voicemail.
- Keep the headline to one line. Use active verbs in the headline.
- Grab the reader's attention in the first paragraph.
- Include a brief, but interesting quote.
- If you must continue on a second page, put "more" at the bottom of the page, and an identifying header on top of successive pages.
- At the end of the release, use "##" or "end" to indicate no further pages.
Sample Press Release