text about speaking to the public
tips for speaking with the media
5 Quick Tips for Speaking to the General Public
- Don’t shy away from lightly sharing what you know about literacy learning and NCTE policies when the opportunity arises.
- Turn that favorite party statement “Oh, you teach English -- I’d better watch my grammar” into a simple lesson about language and how it’s best for all of us to learn and use it.
- Remember that literacy learning is complicated -- even if some think it simple -- and your mission is to explain this complex process simply.
- Brag about your students.
- Skip the jargon but use the personal story.
Please contact <b>Millie Davis</b> or <b>Lori Bianchini,</b> NCTE Communications Division, for assistance with your questions about speaking with the media or with legislators: <a href="mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org">email@example.com</a>; 217-278-3634 (Millie) or 217-278-3644 (Lori).