text about speaking to the public
5 Quick Tips for Speaking to the General Public
- Don’t shy away from lightly sharing what you know about literacy learning and NCTE policies when the opportunity arises.
- Turn that favorite party statement “Oh, you teach English -- I’d better watch my grammar” into a simple lesson about language and how it’s best for all of us to learn and use it.
- Remember that literacy learning is complicated -- even if some think it simple -- and your mission is to explain this complex process simply.
- Brag about your students.
- Skip the jargon but use the personal story.