Web Seminar: Finding Our Voice –Speaking Out to Build Support For Our Work
Steven Zemelman and Harry Ross, authors of 13 Steps to Teacher EmpowermentDate:
Tuesday, March 27, 2012Time:
7:00 p.m. CST
Click here to register
for this free web seminar.
This Live Web seminar introduces a public information campaign to encourage teachers to speak out about the work they do in classrooms and to teach them how to do that wisely and through a number of venues.
Zemelman and Ross
- recognize that present situation for teachers and schools in many places in this country is not a happy one right now with widespread budget cuts, mandates from people who don’t really understand teachers’ work, and policies that, however well-intended, undermine good teaching and learning.
- know that teachers complain to each other about these things, but most hesitate to speak out publicly.
- posit that it’s especially important that we do speak out now now, in the present climate, so we don’t just sit by passively while our hard work is getting bashed.
- insist that teacher responses, though, need to be carefully crafted and echoed by many voices, so they are as effective as possible.
- share skills and strategies for speaking out so we can all learn, find it easier to speak and be heard, and not lose our jobs in the process.